Crime & Justice
George Zimmerman’s bond set at $1 million
A judge set George Zimmerman’s bond at $1 million Thursday. This was the second time Zimmerman asked to be released while he awaits trial for the February shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.
A judge has set George Zimmerman’s bond at $1 million on Thursday.
This was the second time Zimmerman asked to be released while he awaits trial for the February shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.
George Zimmerman’s Bond and Conditions
According to his George Zimmerman’s bond order, he isn’t allowed to leave Seminole County without prior authorization from the court.
He also has to check in with authorities every 48 hours and he can’t enter Orlando Sanford International Airport property.
In addition, the judge ordered that Zimmerman may not open a bank account and has a daily curfew from 6 p.m. until 6 a.m., the station reports.
Zimmerman may not apply for a passport, drink any alcohol, and must pay for his own electric monitoring device, according to the order.
Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester revoked George Zimmerman’s bond of $150,000 last month after prosecutors said Zimmerman and his wife misled the court about how much money they had during an April bond hearing.
Prosecutors said Zimmerman created a website for his legal defense that had raised $135,000 at the time of his first bond hearing, but they failed to mention it.
Prosecutors and defense attorneys presented their arguments in a second bond hearing on June 29.
Attorney asked for lower bond
Defense attorney Mark O’Mara asked for a $150,000 bond, while the state asked the court to keep the defendant behind bars without bond.
O’Mara argued in court papers that his client is no threat to the public and proved he wasn’t a flight risk by returning to jail when his bond was revoked.
O’Mara said that although Zimmerman should have admitted that his wife wasn’t telling the whole truth when she testified that the couple had no assets, it doesn’t make Zimmerman a grand conspirator as the state seems to suggest.
Additionally, O’Mara also argued that the bulk of the more than $200,000 raised by the website was turned over to a third-party administrator and Zimmerman has no control over the money.
But Prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda disagreed, saying Zimmerman’s wife lied to the court and the defendant just sat there and let it happen.
He said the bottom line was that on April 20, the day of Zimmerman’s first bond hearing, there was over a $100,000 in the Zimmermans’ account.
The former neighborhood watch volunteer was charged with second-degree murder for fatally shooting Martin on Feb. 26 in a gated apartment community in Sanford.
Zimmerman has pleaded not guilty and claimed the shooting was self-defense under the state’s “stand your ground” law.
Real stories. Real impact. Straight to your inbox. Join thousands others. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter today!
Want to tell your story, send a news tip or report a correction? Contact us at [email protected]
Follow us on Facebook, X, TikTok, Instagram, News Break
Discover more from Unheard Voices Magazine®
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Leave a Reply
-
Community2 weeks agoPastor Jamal Bryant announces national prayer rally for Nolan Wells
-
Police2 weeks agoLawsuit: Indianapolis officer falsely accused teen of attempted murder
-
Real Voices5 days agoViral Waffle House employee says the company fired him
-
Health & Wellness2 weeks agoFormer “Glee” dancer Brittany Parks reveals stage 2 triple‑negative breast cancer diagnosis
-
Real Voices2 weeks agoGeorgia man drowns after rescuing young girl from dangerous rip current at Myrtle Beach
-
Crime & Justice2 weeks agoUgandan football captain David Owori beaten to death in street gang attack
-
Health & Wellness7 days agoKansas pastor who survived cancer twice now searching for living kidney donor
-
New Jersey2 weeks agoNew Jersey family says organ network sought body parts from relative who wasn’t a donor





JustMe
July 5, 2012 at 11:15 pm
Zimmerman’s bond should be set higher!