Social Justice
Grand Jury to look into death of Eric Garner
A grand jury will look into the death of Eric Garner.
A grand jury will look into the death of Eric Garner, the New York man who died while in police custody last month, the Staten Island District Attorney’s office announced Tuesday.
“New York City deserves an investigation into the Garner case that is fair and complete. We are pleased that with today’s announcement, the legal process is now underway,” Mayor de Blasio said in a statement.
Earlier this month, the medical examiner determined Eric Garner’s death was a homicide that was caused by “compression of his neck (chokehold), compression of his chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police.”
Choheholds are illegal and banned by NYPD.
Garner’s death led to protests and frustration over police brutality and excessive use of force, particularly from by the NYPD.
On July 17th, Garner was stopped and approached by NYPD for allegedly selling loose, untaxed cigarettes. The incident, caught on a cellphone camera, shows two officers approaching Garner to arrest him. In the video, you can see one officer slowly come behind Garner and then puts him into a chokehold.
Garner’s last words were “I can’t breathe”.
“Based upon the investigation that my office has conducted to date regarding the July 17, 2014, death of Eric Garner, and after a careful review of the recent findings of the Medical Examiner regarding the cause and manner of Mr. Garner’s death, I have determined that it is appropriate to present evidence regarding the circumstances of his death to a Richmond County Grand Jury,” said District Attorney Daniel Donovan Jr. “I assure the public that I am committed to conducting a fair, thorough, and responsible investigation into Mr. Garner’s death, and that I will go wherever the evidence takes me, without fear or favor.”
Officer Daniel Pantaleo, the cop who was seen on video placing Garner in an apparent chokehold, and another unidentified officer were placed on modified reassignment pending the outcome of the case.
Four emergency workers were suspended without pay pending an investigation.
Real stories. Real impact. Straight to your inbox. Join thousands others. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter today!
Discover more from Unheard Voices Magazine®
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
-
Crime & Justice2 weeks agoOhio man sentenced to 21 years to life in fatal uber driver shooting
-
Black and Missing2 weeks agoUpdate: Missing N.J. autistic teen is not in federal custody
-
Real Voices2 weeks agoRelative of funeral home owner injured as he saved remains in Georgia blaze
-
Crime & Justice7 days agoGeorgia mother delivering for DoorDash fatally shot outside elementary school
-
Police2 weeks agoDetroit woman shot six times by police files $25M lawsuit against officer, city
-
Black Excellence1 week agoThirteen Little‑Known Black History Facts
-
In Memoriam1 week agoIn Memoriam: Thomas Williams Sr. dies at 94
-
Crime & Justice1 week agoTexas student who assaulted school administrator sentenced to 13 years in juvenile facility



