New Jersey
Family demands answers after ICE detainee’s death in New Jersey
Jean Wilson Brutus died Dec. 12 at the Delaney Hall detention center after being taken into ICE custody.
A New Jersey family is demanding answers after a 41‑year‑old Haitian man died while in U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement custody. ICE confirmed that Jean Wilson Brutus died Dec. 12 after what officials called “a medical emergency.”
New Jersey Ice Detainee, Haitian Asylum Seeker Dies After Reported Medical Emergency
In an exclusive interview with NBC 4 News, family members say he entered custody healthy. They insist he had no known medical conditions. “He did not have any medical conditions previously and he entered into ICE custody healthy,” his cousin, Belony, told the outlet.
Detention Facility Already Under Scrutiny
The Delaney Hall immigration facility in Newark has drawn repeated criticism this year. In May, Newark Mayor Ras Baraka was arrested there on a trespassing charge and released shortly after.
Baraka released a statement calling Brutus’ death “distressing, and bringing up a host of disturbing questions.”
Advocates Call for Transparency and Closure in New Jersey Ice Detainee’s Death
On Saturday, News 4 captured advocates gathered outside Delaney Hall. They held signs demanding the facility’s closure. They also called for accountability. “We do want transparency, we do want accountability, we do want justice,” Belony said.
ICE released a statement describing the incident. Officials said Brutus “experienced a medical emergency” at the facility. Staff called local Emergency Medical Services. EMS attempted life‑saving measures and transported him to University Hospital in Newark. The hospital later pronounced him dead.
ICE added that Brutus showed “no signs of distress during intake” and had “no medical history of cardiovascular issues.”
Questions Surround Jean Wilson Brutus’ Arrest History and Custody
ICE said Brutus was taken into custody after his release from the Union County jail in Elizabeth. He had been arrested on a criminal mischief charge involving property damage. Federal officials also said he had prior arrests for criminal trespassing.
Belony vehemently disputed that the family knew about any previous arrests. “In terms of the prior arrests, we didn’t know anything,” he told News 4.
Family Says Brutus Came Seeking Safety
ICE records show Brutus entered the United States on June 20, 2023, per NBC News. He was paroled into the country while awaiting immigration proceedings. “He came into the country seeking asylum,” Belony said. “And he was under our care.”
Belony added that Brutus was grieving the recent death of his mother. “He became very depressed and very sad,” he said.
Attorney Says Case Raises Serious Concerns
Family attorney Joseph Makhandal Champagne told the outlet the circumstances demand a full investigation. “The fundamental issue in this case is that Jean Wilson Brutus was taken into ICE custody alive and turned out dead,” he said. “Knowing that he came in alive, knowing that he came in well, without any signs of medical distress or issues.”
Champagne said he and the family are exploring all legal avenues. They want clarity about what happened inside Delaney Hall. They also want to know whether proper medical protocols were followed.
Calls for Accountability Continue to Grow
Advocates say Brutus’ death highlights long‑standing concerns about medical care in immigration detention. They argue that the facility has faced repeated complaints. They also say the public deserves answers.
The family says they will continue pressing for transparency. They want a full accounting of Brutus’ final hours. They also want federal officials to release all available records.
Community groups plan additional demonstrations in the coming days. They say they will keep demanding oversight until they see meaningful change.
Real stories. Real impact. Straight to your inbox. Join thousands others. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter today!
Discover more from Unheard Voices Magazine®
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
-
Crime & Justice2 weeks agoNew Brunswick, NJ 16-year-old shot and killed inside home
-
Culture2 weeks agoSt. Thomas Carnival 2026 dates announced
-
Opinions2 weeks agoThe arrests of journalists who covered Minnesota church protest is an attack on independent journalism and freedom of press
-
Crime & Justice2 weeks agoLegal Defense Fund calls on federal leaders to condemn violence against public officials and cease inciteful rhetoric
-
Social Justice1 week agoTemple student who assisted Don Lemon in covering Minnesota protest faces federal charges
-
Black Excellence2 weeks agoIn Memoriam: Demond Wilson, ‘Sanford and Son’ Star (1946 – 2026)
-
Black and Missing1 week agoUpdate: Missing N.J. autistic teen is not in federal custody
-
Crime & Justice1 week agoOhio man sentenced to 21 years to life in fatal uber driver shooting



