Connect with us

Police

Family of Chicago teen shot 16 times by police awarded $5 million as FBI probes killing

City leaders have agreed to pay out $5 million dollars to the family of a teenager who was shot 16 times last fall by Chicago police

unheard voices magazine profile logo

Published

on

Laquan McDonald
Laquan McDonald

City leaders have agreed to pay out $5 million dollars to the family of Laquan  McDonald who was shot 16 times last fall by Chicago police, report the New York Times. Federal and state prosecutors said that a criminal investigation is being conducted on last year’s shooting.

The decision comes in the case of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald, who police say was wielding a three-inch knife, was shot 16 times by an officer on Oct. 20 on the city’s Southwest Side.

The unnamed officer said he was in fear for his life, but the FBI and state prosecutors are investigating his claim.

The authorities say a dashboard camera on a police squad car captured the confrontation, though the recording has not been made public.

Family of Laquan McDonald To Receive Settlement

Lawyers for McDonald’s family say he was walking away from police when he was shot and they were prepared to ask for $16 million, the Tribune notes.

The officer hasn’t been charged with a crime.

Read more at The Chicago Tribune.


Discover more from Unheard Voices Magazine

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Unheard Voices, an award-winning, family-operated online news magazine, began in 2004 as a community newsletter serving Neptune, Asbury Park, and Long Branch, N.J. Over time, it grew into a nationally recognized Black-owned media outlet. The publication remains one of the few dedicated to covering social justice issues. Its honors include the NAACP Unsung Hero Award and multiple media innovator awards for excellence in social justice reporting and communications.

Archives

Tags

unheard voices shop
unheard voices on google play unheard voices on itunes

Trending