Crime & Justice
Detroit man convicted of sexually assaulting, killing teen found dead in prison 2 weeks after sentencing
According to authorities, Butts was pronounced dead at the Charles Egeler Reception and Guidance Center, reports Newsweek. Authorities are treating the death as a suicide.
JACKSON, Mich. — Jarvis Butts, the Detroit man convicted in the murder of 13‑year‑old Na’Ziyah Harris and multiple sexual assault cases, was found dead Thursday morning inside a Michigan Department of Corrections facility. Officials said staff attempted life‑saving measures, yet he was pronounced dead at the Charles Egeler Reception and Guidance Center. Authorities are treating the death as a suicide.
Death Reported Shortly After Long Prison Sentence
Butts, 43, died two weeks after receiving a 35‑ to 60‑year sentence for second‑degree murder in Harris’ death. He also received 10‑ to 15‑year concurrent sentences for five separate criminal sexual conduct charges.
Although Harris’ body has never been found, prosecutors told the outlet overwhelming evidence showed she died in early 2024. They argued that Butts killed the teen because she was pregnant with his child.
Background of the Case
Harris disappeared in January 2024 after getting off a school bus in Detroit. Investigators later found clothing near Rouge River, where Butts allegedly admitted dumping her body. However, extensive searches did not locate her remains.
Butts faced six separate cases involving minors. He pleaded guilty in February 2026, less than two weeks before his scheduled trial. The plea agreement resolved all charges and required him to provide truthful information about Harris’ body. Prosecutors said they were satisfied with his statements, although he did not disclose details in open court.
Discovery of His Death
Michigan State Police were called to the Jackson facility around 6:45 a.m. Thursday to investigate. Officials said the death remains under review, but early findings indicate suicide. Corrections staff attempted CPR before pronouncing him deceased.
Butts had been processed into the reception center on March 16. His earliest possible release date had been set for September 2059, according to MDOC records.
Sentencing and Community Impact
During his March 12 sentencing, Harris’ family delivered emotional statements. They described the teen as a bright student whose disappearance devastated the community. The judge imposed the maximum range allowed under the plea agreement.
Prosecutors said Butts exchanged sexually abusive messages with Harris as early as 2022. They also linked him to assaults involving two other minors, including an 8‑year‑old relative.
Real stories. Real impact. Straight to your inbox. Join thousands others. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter today!
Want to tell your story, send a news tip or report a correction? Contact us at [email protected]
Follow us on Facebook, X, TikTok, Instagram, News Break
Discover more from Unheard Voices Magazine®
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
-
Community2 weeks agoPastor Jamal Bryant announces national prayer rally for Nolan Wells
-
Police2 weeks agoLawsuit: Indianapolis officer falsely accused teen of attempted murder
-
Real Voices5 days agoViral Waffle House employee says the company fired him
-
Health & Wellness2 weeks agoFormer “Glee” dancer Brittany Parks reveals stage 2 triple‑negative breast cancer diagnosis
-
Real Voices2 weeks agoGeorgia man drowns after rescuing young girl from dangerous rip current at Myrtle Beach
-
Crime & Justice2 weeks agoUgandan football captain David Owori beaten to death in street gang attack
-
Health & Wellness7 days agoKansas pastor who survived cancer twice now searching for living kidney donor
-
New Jersey2 weeks agoNew Jersey family says organ network sought body parts from relative who wasn’t a donor




