Crime & Justice
Judge denies Karmelo Anthony’s request for new trial; Defense says appeal coming
A Texas judge has denied Karmelo Anthony’s request for a new trial, keeping the 19‑year‑old’s murder conviction and 35‑year sentence in place.
A Texas judge has denied Karmelo Anthony’s request for a new trial, keeping the 19‑year‑old’s murder conviction and 35‑year sentence in place. Judge Michael Chitty issued the ruling Saturday after testimony stretched late into Friday evening, CBS News Texas reported.
Anthony was convicted in June for fatally stabbing 17‑year‑old Austin Metcalf during a Frisco ISD track meet in April 2025. Anthony has maintained he acted in self-defense. However, a Collin County jury rejected his claim and found he intentionally stabbed Metcalf during an altercation.
Judge Says Evidence Does Not Support a New Trial
Chitty wrote that he reviewed the motion, the record, the evidence, the arguments and relevant case law before deciding the motion “should be denied.” He did not elaborate further in the half‑page order.
Defense attorneys argued that Anthony’s rights were violated. They said a “gentleman’s agreement” between prosecutors and the original defense team influenced Anthony’s decision not to testify. They also said limited courtroom access denied him a fully public trial.
However, prosecutors defended the trial as fair. Upon the announcement of a retrial denial, Collin County District Attorney Greg Willis said he respects the courts decision, adding the guilty verdict stands and that every defendant has the right to appeal. He also offered condolences to the Metcalf family.
New Background Information Revealed About Both Teens
During the retrial hearing, attorneys disclosed previously hidden background information about both Anthony and Metcalf. These details were reportedly intentionally kept from the original jury under an off‑record agreement.
Metcalf’s background:
Court records revealed that Metcalf and his twin brother once spray‑painted racist and antisemitic graffiti, including “KKK kill all blacks” and “Heil Hitler,” resulting in juvenile probation.
Additional records described repeated bullying, racial slurs, assaults on classmates, and disciplinary actions, including a suspension for bringing a gun to school.
Anthony’s background:
Prosecutors presented previously undisclosed evidence alleging Anthony had a fixation on knives and had sent disturbing messages to an ex‑girlfriend, including a photo of a knife hours before the stabbing.
CBS News Texas reported that this information was also kept from jurors under the same agreement.
Karmelo Anthony’s Defense Team Plans Immediate Appeal
Despite the decision, this is not the end of the road for Anthony and his team.
Russell Wilson, Anthony’s appellate attorney, said the team will continue the case in the Fifth Court of Appeals. He called the issues “substantial” and said they deserve meaningful review. Wilson said the denial does not end the case and vowed to pursue every legal remedy available.
Supporters gathered outside the courthouse after the ruling. They said they remain committed to clearing Anthony’s name as the case moves to the appeals court.
Real stories. Real impact. Straight to your inbox. Join thousands others. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter today!
Want to tell your story, send a news tip or report a correction? Contact us at [email protected]
Follow us on Facebook, X, TikTok, Instagram, News Break
Discover more from Unheard Voices Magazine®
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
-
Real Voices1 week agoViral Waffle House employee says the company fired him
-
Health & Wellness2 weeks agoFormer “Glee” dancer Brittany Parks reveals stage 2 triple‑negative breast cancer diagnosis
-
In Memoriam6 days agoIn Memoriam: Jason Arday, PhD
-
Real Voices2 weeks agoGeorgia man drowns after rescuing young girl from dangerous rip current at Myrtle Beach
-
Black and Missing4 days agoNew York woman vanishes in Las Vegas; Family receives texts asking for cash and bitcoin
-
Health & Wellness1 week agoKansas pastor who survived cancer twice now searching for living kidney donor
-
Social Justice1 week agoCongressional Black Caucus urges DOJ and FBI to launch federal review of Nolan Wells’ death
-
Black and Missing2 days agoNYC woman who went missing in Las Vegas found dead, family confirms




