Police
Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Apologizes For Stop and Frisk Police Policy
Former New York City Mayor #MichaelBloomberg has apologized for his long standing support of the controversial “stop and frisk” police practice. #stopandfrisk
Former New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg is changing his stance on his longstanding support of the controversial “stop and frisk” policy ahead of a potential Democratic run for president.
Michael Bloomberg addresses Stop and Frisk policy
While addressing the Christian Cultural Church in East New York, Bloomberg says the policy that often discriminated and led to detaining a disproportionate amount of Blacks and Latinos that he “can’t change history” but he now realizes “I was wrong”.
Michael Bloomberg says if anyone was false stopped by the police, “I apologize”.
About the policy
The “stop and frisk” policy gave police wide authority to detain people they suspected of committing a crime.
Bloomberg aggressively pursued the tactic when he first took over as mayor in 2002. The practiced reached a peak of 685,000 cases in 2011, during Bloomberg’s third and final term.
Black and Latino New Yorkers comprised 54% and 34% of stops that year, according to the New York Civil Liberties Union.
Bloomberg told the congregation Sunday that he wants to earn back the trust of Black and Latino communities.
Unconstitutional
In 2013, a judge ruled the practice had been enforced in an unconstitutional way and a federal monitor was appointed to oversee reforms.
While Bloomberg railed at the decision at the time, the NYPD began reducing use of stop-and-frisk, an effort championed by Mayor de Blasio when he took office in 2014.
Real stories. Real impact. Straight to your inbox. Join thousands others. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter today!
Discover more from Unheard Voices Magazine®
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
-
Crime & Justice2 weeks agoNew Brunswick, NJ 16-year-old shot and killed inside home
-
Culture2 weeks agoSt. Thomas Carnival 2026 dates announced
-
Opinions2 weeks agoThe arrests of journalists who covered Minnesota church protest is an attack on independent journalism and freedom of press
-
Crime & Justice2 weeks agoLegal Defense Fund calls on federal leaders to condemn violence against public officials and cease inciteful rhetoric
-
Social Justice1 week agoTemple student who assisted Don Lemon in covering Minnesota protest faces federal charges
-
Black Excellence2 weeks agoIn Memoriam: Demond Wilson, ‘Sanford and Son’ Star (1946 – 2026)
-
Black and Missing1 week agoUpdate: Missing N.J. autistic teen is not in federal custody
-
Crime & Justice1 week agoOhio man sentenced to 21 years to life in fatal uber driver shooting



