Connect with us

Crime & Justice

Two charged in killing of missing Linden woman Tyrita Julius, authorities say

Two people were arrested and charged with the killing of Tyrita R. Julius, a 41-year-old Linden woman missing since March, authorities say.

unheard voices magazine profile logo

Published

on

Tyrita Julius Two Charged In Death of Linden Woman Missing Since March
Tyrita Julius

LONG BRANCH, N.J. — Authorities arrested and charged two people in the death of Tyrita R. Julius, a 41‑year‑old Linden woman who had been missing since March, according to Monmouth County authorities.

Two Charged in Connection With Julius’ Death

Investigators took Jennifer Sweeney, 33, of Tinton Falls, and Andre Harris, 32, of Long Branch, into custody Tuesday and charged them with the following offenses:

  • Murder
  • Desecration of human remains
  • Tampering with physical evidence

Investigators arrested both suspects after they executed a search warrant at Harris’ home on Joline Avenue in Long Branch.

Police Activity at Long Branch Home

On Tuesday night, yellow police tape surrounded the front yard of the Joline Avenue property as detectives worked at the scene. Witnesses reported seeing an investigator emerge from the backyard wearing a soiled white hazmat suit while floodlights illuminated the area.

Jennifer Sweeney convicted of Tyrita Julius murder house on Joline Avenue Long Branch

House on Joline Avenue in Long Branch, N.J. (Copyright: Unheard Voices Magazine)

Authorities declined to disclose what they recovered from the home but said the evidence they found directly led to the arrests.

Timeline: Julius’ Disappearance and Earlier Shooting

Julius was last seen on March 8, when a friend told police she dropped her off at the Long Branch train station so she could return home to Linden.

At the time of her disappearance, Julius was recovering from a 2015 shooting in Linden. A gunman struck her multiple times in the torso and pelvic area as she got into her car with her 15‑year‑old daughter. The teen suffered graze wounds, and the gunman fled the scene. No arrests were made in that earlier attack.

See also  A stranger’s $1,000 gift restores faith for NYC mom, sparks fundraiser for nursing school

Investigation Continues

Judges set the defendants’ bail at $1.5 million cash only, according to the Asbury Park Press. The medical examiner will determine Julius’ exact cause of death.

Authorities say they are continuing the investigation and will release additional details as they become available.

Copyright © 2026. All Rights Reserved. Unheard Voices Magazine ®

Real stories. Real impact. Straight to your inbox. Join thousands others. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter today!


Discover more from Unheard Voices Magazine®

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Unheard Voices, an award-winning, family-operated online news magazine, began in 2004 as a community newsletter serving Neptune, Asbury Park, and Long Branch, N.J. Over time, it grew into a nationally recognized Black-owned media outlet. The publication remains one of the few dedicated to covering social justice issues. Its honors include the NAACP Unsung Hero Award and multiple media innovator awards for excellence in social justice reporting and communications.

Archives

Tags

unheard voices shop
unheard voices on google play unheard voices on itunes

Trending

Discover more from Unheard Voices Magazine®

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading