Police
Federal judge dismisses Louisville police reform agreement after DOJ withdrawal
U.S. District Judge Benjamin Beaton ruled on Dec. 31 that the city must lead its own reform efforts.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — A federal judge has dismissed Louisville’s proposed police reform agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice after federal officials withdrew support for the plan tied to the 2020 killing of Breonna Taylor.
Louisville police reform consent decree dismissed
U.S. District Judge Benjamin Beaton ruled on Dec. 31 that the city must lead its own reform efforts. Beaton stated that responsibility “must remain with the city’s elected representatives and the people they serve.” The decision ends the proposed consent decree that aimed to overhaul the Louisville Metro Police Department, per a report by the Associated Press.
DOJ Pulls Back From Consent Decrees
The Justice Department announced in May that it would cancel proposed consent decrees in Louisville and Minneapolis. The agreements sought to curb racial bias and excessive force after the deaths of George Floyd and Taylor sparked nationwide protests.
Key points from the DOJ shift include:
- New DOJ leadership said prior legal theories were flawed.
- Officials argued the agreements were costly and burdensome.
- Minneapolis’ proposed decree was also dismissed earlier in the year.
A multiyear DOJ investigation into Louisville, launched after Taylor’s death, found that the police department discriminated against Black residents, used excessive force and relied on invalid warrants. A draft report released in early 2023 detailed those findings.
City Leaders Commit to Local Reform
Louisville Mayor Craig Greenberg said the city will continue reform efforts despite the DOJ’s withdrawal. He highlighted progress made in 2025, including:
- Clearing a backlog of open records requests
- Releasing police shooting body camera footage within 10 business days
- Expanding transparency measures
The city also hired an independent law enforcement consulting group to monitor reforms.
Louisville began implementing changes soon after Taylor’s death in March 2020. The city banned “no‑knock” warrants and launched a pilot program that sends behavioral health professionals to some 911 calls.
Legal Fallout From Taylor’s Killing Continues
The city previously paid a \$12 million wrongful death settlement to Taylor’s family.
In 2025, former Louisville Detective Brett Hankison became the first officer involved in the raid to receive a prison sentence. A judge sentenced him to nearly three years for excessive force, despite DOJ efforts to reduce the penalty to time served.
Hankison fired 10 rounds during the raid after Taylor’s boyfriend shot once, believing intruders were breaking in. Hankison shot blindly into Taylor’s windows but did not hit anyone inside the apartment or in a neighboring unit.
Real stories. Real impact. Straight to your inbox. Join thousands others. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter today!
Follow us on Facebook, X, TikTok, Instagram, News Break
Black and Missing6 days agoMissing Alabama teen found burned, dismembered after parents search woods themselves
Black Excellence1 week agoAt 108, Delaware woman still drives, exercises and says she “grows old gracefully”
New Jersey1 week agoNew Jersey teen accidentally struck and killed by train; Community mourns beloved student-athlete
Crime & Justice2 weeks agoOhio deputy who fatally shot Black man entering his grandmother’s house is convicted of reckless homicide
In Memoriam2 weeks agoCrystal R. Emery, filmmaker and advocate for equity, dies at 65
Black Excellence6 days agoOakland valedictorian accepted into 31 colleges chooses LSU to pursue dream of becoming a doctor
Politics2 weeks agoNational Coalition plans May 16 Day of Action in Alabama after Voting Rights Act overturned
Culture2 weeks agoOWN renews ‘Love & Marriage: Huntsville’ for season 12
Community7 days agoOnce homeless, Charlotte mother finds stability after community support transforms her future
Social Justice6 days agoLeaders demand apology over comedian’s offensive George Floyd and Sheryl Underwood jokes during Kevin Hart Netflix Roast























Pingback: Judge's Dismissal of Louisville’s Police Consent Decree Highlights Systemic Accountability Failures - Stop Police Brutality