Politics
Civil rights groups sue over Louisiana suspended primary

A coalition of civil rights groups filed an emergency motion Friday to stop Gov. Jeff Landry from suspending Louisiana’s congressional primary after voting had already begun statewide, arguing the move is unlawful and threatens ballots already cast.
Emergency Motion Over Louisiana Primary
The League of Women Voters of Louisiana, the Louisiana State Conference of the NAACP, the Power Coalition for Equity and Justice, and three individual voters filed the motion in state court. They are represented by the Legal Defense Fund, the American Civil Liberties Union, and the ACLU of Louisiana. Their filings argue the governor’s executive order exceeds his authority under Louisiana law.
The plaintiffs say the suspension creates a path for lawmakers to redraw the state’s congressional map in ways that could weaken Black political representation. They cite the U.S. Supreme Court’s recent ruling in Louisiana v. Callais, which struck down the state’s previous map and sharply limited federal protections for voters of color.
According to the Legal Defense Fund and the ACLU, the governor’s order “injects chaos” into an election already underway and places at risk the votes of residents who have already cast absentee ballots.
Plaintiffs Say the Governor Overstepped His Legal Powers
The lawsuit argues Louisiana’s emergency statutes do not authorize suspending an election once voting has started. Plaintiffs say the governor’s order improperly intrudes on the Supreme Court’s authority to determine how its ruling applies to this year’s midterm cycle.
They also warn the order could disenfranchise voters who followed the rules and submitted ballots before the suspension. Their filing states that emergency powers “are not a license to rewrite election rules midstream.”
The ACLU of Louisiana said the order “undermines public trust” and “threatens the stability of the electoral process.”
Supreme Court Ruling Sets the Stage in Louisiana Primary
The governor’s order came days after the Supreme Court’s 6–3 decision in Louisiana v. Callais. The ruling invalidated Louisiana’s second majority‑Black district and narrowed the scope of Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act. Voting‑rights groups say the decision weakened federal protections for voters of color and emboldened state officials to take aggressive steps.
Gov. Landry argues the suspension is necessary because the state cannot hold elections under a map the Court struck down. He says the order allows lawmakers to draw a new map “as soon as practical.”
What Happens Next
The plaintiffs are seeking a temporary restraining order to restore the original primary schedule and ensure all absentee ballots already cast remain valid. State and federal judges are now weighing multiple emergency filings as the legal fight accelerates.
You can view the filing here.
Real stories. Real impact. Straight to your inbox. Join thousands others. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter today!
Follow us on Facebook, X, TikTok, Instagram, News Break
Community2 weeks agoPalisades Fire survivor ‘Ms. Lou’ celebrates her 98th birthday
Community2 weeks agoFlavor Flav announces SHE Weekend to celebrate women’s sports and Olympic athletes
Community2 weeks agoMichigan man turns viral racial confrontation into youth service initiative
Community2 weeks agoGoFundMe nears $130K after death of viral budget wedding bride
New Jersey2 weeks agoGoFundMe for Ashlee Jenae surpasses goal amid ongoing investigation
Community2 weeks agoBeloved 9/11 first responder enters hospice as family launches GoFundMe
Community5 days agoUniversity of Iowa student shows significant progress after Iowa City mall shooting
Culture7 days agoParamount+ releases trailer for The Chi season 8
Health & Wellness2 weeks agoJenneh Rishe, a beloved endometriosis advocate, dies after pulmonary embolism
Community2 weeks agoStreamer hit by car while walking from Philly to California for underserved kids




















