Police
Man awarded $100 million after Atlanta police left him paralyzed
A federal jury in Atlanta has awarded $100 million to Jerry Blasingame who fell and broke his neck after a police officer shocked him with a stun gun during a foot chase, according to reports.

A jury has awarded $100 million to Jerry Blasingame, a Georgia man who was paralyzed after an Atlanta police officer reportedly shocked him with a stun gun during a foot chase, according to reports.
Jurors found that Officer Jon Grubbs used unreasonable force against Blasingame, who was 65 years old and had been panhandling, asking drivers for money on July 10, 2018.
Jerry Blasingame awarded $100M
Now 69 years old, Blasingame requires round-the-clock care costing $1 million a year, and has $14 million in medical bills so far, said his attorney Ven Johnson.
Jurors found that the Atlanta Police Department should pay $60 million and Grubbs should pay $40 million, WXIA-TV and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.
Blasingame’s conservator, Keith Edwards, sued the city of Atlanta and the police officer, Jon Grubbs, for the cost of his past and future medical bills.
Blasingame’s attorneys said Grubbs violated department policy by using a stun gun on an elderly man who was running away, the newspaper reported.
Edwards’ lawsuit said Blasingame was on the street and asking people for money when Grubbs and another officer arrived and saw him talking with a driver.
Grubbs stepped out of the patrol car and told Blasingame to stop, but he moved out of the street to a guard rail, and Grubbs ran toward him, according to the lawsuit.
“Grubbs gets out of the car and starts chasing my client — a 65-year-old man — and for what? For potentially asking people for money?” Johnson said.
Johnson said the city did not conduct a thorough investigation into Grubbs’ conduct and let him return to full duty six months after the incident and before the investigation was concluded.
“This is how an officer gets away with excessive force,” he told the jury in his closing argument. “You bury it.”
The city has filed a motion for a directed verdict. A ruling from a judge on that motion may amend the jury’s verdict.
Real stories. Real impact. Straight to your inbox. Join thousands others. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter today!
Follow us on Facebook, X, TikTok, Instagram, News Break
Community2 weeks agoPalisades Fire survivor ‘Ms. Lou’ celebrates her 98th birthday
Community2 weeks agoFlavor Flav announces SHE Weekend to celebrate women’s sports and Olympic athletes
Community1 week agoUniversity of Iowa student shows significant progress after Iowa City mall shooting
Culture1 week agoParamount+ releases trailer for The Chi season 8
Crime & Justice5 days agoOhio deputy who fatally shot Black man entering his grandmother’s house is convicted of reckless homicide
Real Voices1 week agoAfter Spirit Airlines shutdown, former flight attendant, mom of 8, launches fundraiser to open family restaurant
Culture1 week agoBLK launches “Mama’s Boy” campaign highlighting Black mother–son bonds
Black Excellence3 days agoAt 108, Delaware woman still drives, exercises and says she “grows old gracefully”
Business1 week agoOWN’s Heart & Hustle: Houston returns May 30 with new season of conflict and ambition
Black Excellence1 week agoOWN sets June 5 premiere for new episodes of “Belle Collective” featuring the Jackson Belles



















