Social Justice
Officer who killed Oscar Grant wins civil lawsuit
The BART officer who shot and killed Oscar Grant, an infamous killing captured on cellphone cameras, has won a lawsuit against him.

The BART officer who shot and killed Oscar Grant, a killing captured on cellphone cameras, has won a civil lawsuit against him.
Oscar Grant civil lawsuit
On Tuesday a San Francisco Jury said the ex-transit police officer would not be responsible for the killing of Oscar Grant in a civil lawsuit. Oscar Grant’s father filed the lawsuit against Mehserle.
Former BART officer Johannes Mehserle cried openly in court as he described shooting 22-year-old Oscar Grant as he lay face down on the train platform.
Mehserle, 33, claims he mistakenly used his service revolver when he wanted to grab a Taser.
Grant Jr., who filed the suit for unspecified damages for the loss of his son, told the court. “They took the most precious thing in the world to me, my only child,” according to CBS San Francisco.
BART, short for Bay Area Rapid Transit, had previously settled $175K with the five friends’ of Grant who had been detained. The transit company also paid $2.8 million to Grants’ mother and sister.
The shooting death of Oscar Grant sparked national outrage and a critically acclaimed movie chronicling the young man’s life before his death.
Source : Huffington Post
Real stories. Real impact. Straight to your inbox. Join thousands others. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter today!
Follow us on Facebook, X, TikTok, Instagram, News Break
Crime & Justice2 weeks agoBeloved New Jersey teacher fatally stabbed, reportedly by husband, says prosecutors
Community1 week agoPalisades Fire survivor ‘Ms. Lou’ celebrates her 98th birthday
Community1 week agoFlavor Flav announces SHE Weekend to celebrate women’s sports and Olympic athletes
Community2 weeks agoFamily launches GoFundMe for Ohio woman facing four years in Bali over marijuana
Community1 week agoMichigan man turns viral racial confrontation into youth service initiative
Community2 weeks agoGoFundMe nears $130K after death of viral budget wedding bride
New Jersey1 week agoGoFundMe for Ashlee Jenae surpasses goal amid ongoing investigation
Community1 week agoBeloved 9/11 first responder enters hospice as family launches GoFundMe
Community3 days agoUniversity of Iowa student shows significant progress after Iowa City mall shooting
Politics2 weeks agoCivil rights groups sue over Louisiana suspended primary


















